Thursday, October 29, 2009

Cub Scouts and Ghost Stories!

What do you think of when you think of The Whitney restaurant? Elegance…great food….an amazing atmosphere…yes. Cub Scouts? Probably not. But, this past Saturday, October 24, uniformed members of Cub Scout Pack 1916 and their families congregated at The Whitney for an exciting afternoon at the stately 1894 mansion.

The scouts, ranging in age from 6 – 11 years old and mostly from the Warren area, had a chance to tour the mansion and develop an appreciation for the craftsmanship and detail of the home and their favorite part....the ghost stories! Our favorite history buff/server guided the tour while telling tales of The Whitney's haunting.

I stood and listened to the young boy's stark skepticism about the so-called haunting in the house. Given that Halloween is just a few days away, I decided to tell them a little about our experiences here. After the story, the boys were not so skeptical after all.

My ghostly encounter:

I have worked here for quite some time now and have always felt comfortable in the house by myself...up until a few months ago. One bright, sunny morning I was opening the restaurant by myself (the chef's were here but in the kitchen) and as I sat in the third floor office returning messages, I looked up and saw a figure walk past the open door. I called out in question of who it was and no one responded to me. Racking my brain of every possible solution to what I saw, I came up simply that it was David Whitney paying me a morning visit. Since then, I have yet to be alone on the third floor by myself!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

No comments: